(a) General Responsibilities of Users. In general, users of the IT System must:
- use the IT System only for its intended purpose, and refrain from misusing or abusing it;
- maintain the integrity, reliability, availability, confidentiality and efficiency of computer-based information resources;
- refrain from seeking to gain unauthorized access or exceed authorized access;
- respect software copyright and licenses and other intellectual property rights;
- respect the rights of other computer users; and
- be aware that although computing and information technology providers throughout the university are charged with preserving the integrity and security of resources, security sometimes can be breached through actions beyond their control. Users are therefore urged to take appropriate precautions such as safeguarding their account and password, taking full advantage of file security mechanisms, backing up critical data and promptly reporting any misuse or violations of the policy. Every member of the university community has an obligation to report suspected violations of the Acceptable Use Policy for Information Technology of the U.P. System or any of its units. Reports should be directed to the system and network administrators, Chairs, Deans, Chancellors or the President.
(b) General Responsibilities Of System And Network Administrators
- System and network administrators and providers of university Information Technology resources have the additional responsibility of ensuring the integrity, confidentiality, and availability of the resources they are managing. Persons in these positions are granted significant trust to use their privileges appropriately for their intended purpose and only when required to maintain the system. Any private information seen in carrying out these duties must be treated in the strictest confidence, unless it relates to a violation or the security of the system.
- System and network administrators are expected to treat the contents of electronic files as private and confidential. Any inspection of electronic files, and any action based upon such inspection, will be governed by this Policy, other university rules an d all applicable laws.
(c) General Responsibilities Of University Administrators
- To be informed and knowledgeable about these policies
- To initiate systematic programs to inform academic and non-academic personnel of these policies.